Friday, August 2, 2013

Where's the Love?

Today Jennifer and I went to the one place I've been dreading and looking forward to the most since we applied for our Fund for Teachers grant - the 9/11 Memorial.  I was fortunate enough to go to the observation desk of the World Trade Center (South Tower) twice before 2001.  The buildings were incredible, and the view was amazing.  The second time I went, my husband took a picture of me sitting on a bench reading a subway map in between the two buildings.  When the attacks happened on 9/11, I watched the North Tower collapse not realizing at the time that the South Tower had already fallen.  While I'm not a New Yorker, I felt a strong connection with the towers and was devestated by all that happened on 9/11.  The Memorial is a beautiful, peaceful sight that truly honors those who lost their lives that fateful day.  Jennifer was kind enough to take a picture of me in roughly the same spot my husband took that picture of me several years ago.  I spent some time today reflecting on the past, thankful that neither New York nor our country crumbled under this attack.

After lunch at the apartment, we took a stroll through Harlem on our way to visit the American Museum of Natural History.  We took many pictures of different artifacts left from different Native American groups we study along with pictures of how glaciers and plate techtonics can shape our land.  We are excited about putting the pictures together in various presentations to present to our students.  We can't afford to take them to see this wonderful museum in person, but we can take a part of it to them in our classrooms. 

This evening Jennifer and I splurged on tickets to go see Wicked on Broadway.  We both love musicals, and this one is phenomenal!  We're guaranteed to be singing some of our favorites from the show for weeks to come!  We laughed.  We cried.  We sang.  And we were inspired.  After a morning of reliving one of our nation's most horrible attacks, it was nice to end it on a happy note! 

No comments:

Post a Comment