Saturday, August 3, 2013

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Today Jennifer and I took the morning off to sleep in late, eat breakfast, and then go back to bed for a nap!  We have been constantly on the go visitng monuments, memorials, and museums since Monday, and our bodies were demanding a break. 

Finally around 2:30, we made our way to one of my all time favorite museums, The Metropolitan Museum of Art (the MET).  We viewed several different exhibits: Photography of the American Civil War, Musical Instruments, Arms and Armor, Drawings and Prints, The Civil War and American Art, the American Wing, European Paintings, Modern and Contemporary Art, Photographs, and my favorite - Egyptain Art.  This was my fourth visit to the MET, and everytime I spend the most time in the Egyptian Art wing.  When I was in college, I loved studying about the ancient Egyptians more than anything else.  i've always been amazed by the things they were able to accomplish.  Plus I'm a history nerd and love looking at things that have survived for thousands of years.  It's amazing something that someone used that long ago has survived for me to see in present times.  But today, something else in the museum topped my love for the Egyptian Wing.  In the American Art exhibit, there was the famous painting of George Washington crossing the Delaware.  The picture has always annoyed me because of its inaccuracies, but seeing the painting in real life brought a new found appreciation for it.  I stood for at least 5 minutes staring at it's enormous size while reliving in my head what those men had to endure that Christmas night so long ago to help our country gain its freedom.  In my classroom I always read the book George Washington's Socks to my class as we study the Revolutionary War.  The book is about the crossing of the Delaware, and this famous painting is on the cover of the book.  I can't wait to show my students the picture I took of the real thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment