Thursday, August 8, 2013

Mrs. Hartley's Class - Response to Questions & Comments

I was SO excited to receive your questions and comments yesterday (even the potty one)!  You have no idea how frazzled my brain was about missing the first day of school.  I am really glad there is a way to talk with you.

I took the "potty" picture while I was at the National Air and Space Museum in DC.  This is what the toilet in an airplane looks like (specifically an old Pan Am plane).  Have you ever thought about where everything goes when you use the restroom on an airplane?

Here is what the sign says:  Airplane bathroom waste has always gone into a storage tank in the airplane, which is pumped out after landing.  If the tank gets full, there is an overflow valve that discharges extra waste out of the aircraft - during flight (Yuck!).  The chemicals used to treat the waste turn it blue, and the waste freezes during its fall to earth - the infamous "blue ice."

So...if you are ever struck by "blue ice" while you are walking down the road, run for the shower quick.  You've just had airplane waste land on you! :)



In response to...
*  Sherry - I would have loved for you to eat with me also!  My meal was one of the best I'd every had (especially the coconut cream pie at the end), but also one of the most expensive.  For only me I spent $70!

*  Class - Mmmmm.  Gifts?  All depends on how good you are while I'm out.  Make sure I receive a great note about your behavior!

*  Jordan - You won the book?  Won the movie?  Won the game?  Can you write out a sticky for me and put it under the car (back closet) in the parking lot? :)

*  Rose and Jerod - Wouldn't it be nice if we were close enough to visit the Statue of Liberty as a class?  A couple quick Lady Liberty facts:  There are 357 steps inside the statue, she weighs 450,000 pounds and had to be sent to the United States in pieces, and her shoe size would be size 879.  And I thought I had big feet!

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Mrs. Hartley!!
    Sherry says "LOL, I'm allergic to coconut, but it still sounds good"

    Jared says "How TALL is the Statue of Liberty AND how old is she? "

    Jordan says "I won the Hunger Games game and I died soooo much that I almost cried...almost - I got really mad at it. LOL"

    Savanna says "I got a new underwater thing-a-ma-jig" (no worries, I am in the process of warning her to put it away or it's mine!) I love under water thing-a-ma-jigs!!

    Rose says "How wide is the Statue of Liberty?" AND she has a gift for you!

    Joshua says "Yesterday I got 2 new games, Assassins Creed and Something path of the Ninja II"

    Jared says "I had an AWESOME first day of school" (This makes MY heart happy)

    Denver wants to know how big is Times Square - I'm going to try and explain this to him - My husband is from NYC so I've toured many times.

    ReplyDelete