Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Love in an Elevator

Once Jennifer and I made it back to the hotel from our day of touring the National Mall, we couldn't wait to get to our hotel room.  We pushed the up button on the elevator and waited for what felt like forever.  Neither of us thought we could stand to take the stair up two flights to get to our hotel room.  We could hear all sorts of loud talking on the elevator as we were waiting for it to decend from the fourth floor.  After an eternity of waiting for the elevator to arrive, the doors finally opened, and we were faced with at least six boisterous women and two children.  They said they were not getting off but going back up.  I groaned internally and began to consider the stairs.  The elevator is small, and I didn't think there was any possible way for Jennifer and I to squeeze in there.  But I was wrong!  Jennifer and I crammed ourselves into this tiny elevator bringing our total of people up to 10.  The doors closed, the lady standing closest to the buttons pushed 2, and we waited for the elevator to rise.  We waited and waited and waited some more before we realized the elevator was not moving.  The lady pushed the "Open Door" button, but nothing happened.  It didn't take us and our new eight best friends long to realize we were stuck!  Although we were hot, sweaty, and packed into that elevator like a can stuffed full of vienna sausages, no one panicked.  The lady standing next to the buttons pushed the alarm button several times, but no one came.  She got out her cell phone and called the number posted on the elevator door.  Although we could hear the person on the other end of the line, he could not hear us!  Jennifer got out the number for the hotel, and I dialed it on my cell phone.  At least, I thought I did until the pleasant lady on the other end of the phone answered, "Good afternoon.  This is the Kauai Courtyard by Marriott (in Hawaii).  How may I help you?"  After politely apologizing for dialing the wrong number, Jennifer had me try to push the elevator door open.  At first, nothing happened, but after about 30 seconds, the door retracted, and we ran out of there like bats out of hades.  The stairs weren't so bad.  After our 5 mile track today, what were a couple of flights of stairs when it meant we could collapse into an ice cold hotel room! 

1 comment: