Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Strong Man

Leigh has written a book about today's adventure (had to get that in there, Leigh), so I will only be focusing on one little portion... :-)

The Civil War is studied in depth in 5th grade.  It has always been difficult to help students understand the magnitude of President Lincoln's choice during this time period.  I was extremely excited and hopeful today as we made our way towards the Lincoln Memorial. 
Needless to say, my attitude greatly changed when we came face-to-face with the green paint that someone threw across the statue.  I have never been a history buff, and I am not one to voice my political opinion often, but seeing Lincoln's statue disrespected really got to me.
 We were still able to get some great pictures while we were there.  Hopefully I will be able to describe in detail, when working with my students, the intensity I felt when seeing Lincoln's statue for the first time

No comments:

Post a Comment