Monday, July 29, 2013

Leaving on a Jet Plane

It's hard to believe that this morning, I woke up at Jennifer's house, and now we're sitting in our hotel room on Capitol Hill reflecting on a long day spent with jet airplanes and rockets. 

During the morning, we traveled on Delta Airlines from Chattanooga to Atlanta and onto Washington D.C.  All I can say is thank goodness for electronic devices!  Jennifer and I passed the time on the planes and in the airports playing Candy Crush, Solitare, Bejewled Blitz, and a couple of intense games of Wheel of Fortune. 

Once we arrived in D.C., the nerve racking part of the trip began for me - finding a taxi to get us from the airport to the hotel.  Thankfully, Jennifer was well prepared.  Once we picked up luggage, we had a cab in about 60 seconds and quickly arrived at the hotel.  After we checked in with our families to let them know when had arrived safely, we ventured out onto the streets of DC.

We spent the afternoon at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum.  I was so excited upon entering the museum to see two of my favorite planes, The Spirit of St. Louis and Glamorous Glennis.  Thanks to my husband's passion for aviation, I was able to tell Jennifer about not only those two planes but several others as we traveled throughout the years of aviation.  I'm always eager to look at anything dealing with NASA.  Seeing the Apollo 11 space craft and one of the lunar rovers along with Gene Kranz's Apollo 13 Vest were just a few of the exhibits we saw that I loved!  We were able to blast off into space with the Discovery Space Shuttle thanks to the IMAX movie The Dream Is Alive.  While I've never witnessed any of the rockets or shuttles being launched into space, the images and sounds during the movie made me feel like I was there.  We concluded our 5 hour tour of the National Air and Space Museum at the Albert Einstein Planetarium.  Whoppi Goldberg narrated Journey to the Stars, a video about the birth and death of stars in our universe.  We enjoyed the video, and our exhausted bodies enjoyed the reclining seats in the dark room! 

We ended our day getting take out from We the Pizza.  Those 3 slices of pepperoni pizza and Diet Coke hit the spot after the first exciting day with jet airplanes.

Now if only we could stop our brains from spinning, we might get some sleep and be ready for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment